Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Palin Attack Ad Should Be:


Ryan Lizza writes in this week's New Yorker about Lyda Green, the President of the Alaska Senate. Three things worth noting about Green: she's a woman, she's a Republican, and she despises Palin. Could this be a safe attack ad for the Dems and could they make it happen? Why not an add simply showing this Republican woman saying she does not feel Palin is ready for the Vice Presidency? To read the article:
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/2008/09/15/080915ta_talk_lizza?yrail

Or . . . will this play into the new GOP ad depicting wolves chasing Palin (mentioned on the NY Times blog http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/10/mccain-ad-the-wolves-are-out-against-palin/?scp=1&sq=palin%20wolves&st=cse). Now, the amazing thing isn't just the wolves. In fact, wolves have been featured in previous campaigns. Stop me if I'm wrong, but I think there was at least one Reagan ad featuring wolves. The interesting thing is that the GOP has been crying "sexist" at every Dem attack, and now they release an ad depicting Palin as a victim. Doesn't sound post-feminist to me -- but maybe I'm sounding sexist so I'll get off the topic.

Are these attack ads unfair? Hard to say when the McCain campaign is able to stoop to unprecedented lows. Although the "celeb" add made headlines, the McCain commercial released last month which depicted Obama as the antichrist was far more offensive. Read about it at http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1830590,00.html. I wish I were making this up.

No comments: